When your laptop runs out of charge, yet you need to keep working, it is important to know how to charge it even if you do not have your normal laptop charger with you.
One way you can do this is via the HDMI port. In this post, we will discuss step by step how to charge a laptop with HDMI effectively.
What You Need
- A laptop that has an HDMI port (check on the device’s label). The older MacBooks usually do not have an HDMI port.
- An HDMI cable. You can buy them online or in your local electronics store.
They should be long enough to reach from your laptop to the television or monitor you want to charge the laptop with.
- A HDMI adapter, which is the most common way for you to connect an HDMI cord to a TV or monitor that doesn’t have an HDMI port.
Some adapters work with some cables. For example, if you are using a cable to connect your laptop to your TV without an adapter, you can buy a cable that has both connectors on the ends so that they do not accidentally disconnect.
Some adapters also work with USB-C or Thunderbolt ports and will not be compatible with older laptops.
The Process: How To Charge Your Laptop With HDMI
1) Make sure your laptop’s power cord is plugged in and turned on. On most laptops, this is done by pushing a button on its side.
2) Connect the HDMI cord to the HDMI port on your laptop.
3) Connect the adapter to the HDMI cord and then connect the other end of the adapter to your TV or monitor.
The adapter does come with a small manual so you know which direction to insert it in. You can also check online for more specific directions on how to connect it.
4) Enjoy charging your laptop on your television or monitor while you watch a movie!
The brightness of your laptop screen might be too bright for you to watch your movie, but don’t worry! That’s easy to fix with a quick menu search and click.
When done, simply disconnect the HDMI cord from both the television or monitor and your laptop and then remove the adapter.
Note: some adapters allow you to charge through a USB-C port, while others will not. The ones that do allow this will usually have two ports — one for charging and one for use with regular HDMI.
This is a great way to charge your computer while using it on your TV, monitor, or projector. Just make sure that if you’re connecting via USB-C to an adapter AND an HDMI cable that the adapter allows charging through it because not all of them do!
Which Electrical Outlet Is Used to Charge a Laptop With HDMI?
Of course, many people will ask which electrical outlet is used to charge a laptop with HDMI.
It’s easy: use the one where you have your TV and other electrical appliances plugged in.
Why Can’t I Charge My Laptop With HDMI?
There are a few scenarios where you might not be able to connect your laptop with an HDMI cord to a television or monitor to effectively charge laptop battery.
If you’re wondering why this is, there are two main reasons: a mobile phone and tablets have them built-in by now and laptops don’t, or your television or monitor doesn’t support HDMI.
1) The television or monitor you’re using does not support HDMI.
The most common reason this happens is that the TV was manufactured before the HDMI standard was created.
However, many TVs and monitors have HDMI ports now, so check to make sure you are using one that supports the latest standards.
Not all new TVs and monitors support these ports, so double-check in case you purchased your new television or monitor at a big box store and don’t know about it yet!
2) You are trying to charge your laptop with an older adapter.
If you’ve tried to charge your laptop with an adapter that is not compatible with the latest HDMI standards, you might be able to fix it using an adapter that works with older technologies—like VGA (computer monitor) or DVI (television).
These work with your old adapter and will allow your computer to connect and charge.
Some additional important notes:
- If your computer has an LCD screen that displays when it’s booted up, you can use its power cord instead of an external charger.
- When connected through HDMI, your laptop can use this as its primary battery source, but it may not charge if you’re plugged in through USB ports or Thunderbolt. If so, unplug the cable from the monitor and try again using an alternate connection.
- Your laptop model may not have a HDMI port that will allow you to charge it using the outlined method on this post. In that case, check if you can use USB-C and HDMI cord, with a built-in USB-C port to charge it.
In Summary, in order to charge your laptop using HDMI, use the following steps:
- Connect an HDMI cable to your laptop port and the display.
- Connect the power cord for the monitor to a power source (either use the outlet or connect it with an extension cord).
Definitely, check your laptop’s manual to find out if it is capable of charging your laptop battery via an HDMI connection, and if so, how many watts (W) it can draw from your TV/monitor.
If not, use alternative ways of charging, including using an AC adapter, using a USB-C cord and USB-C Connector, or getting a standard laptop battery charger.
Make sure that you have a power outlet that can support the required wattage.
Now try the steps above to charge your laptop with HDMI.