Are you looking for a new laptop for all your day to day data analysis work but cannot decide which brand and model to go for? Then you are in the right place.
Whether you are looking for something cheap, a high-end there is a laptop or one that gives you the freedom to work from anywhere, there is a laptop for everyone. So lets the crap and dig right into it.
Here are the 4 best laptops for Data Analysis and Data Science in 2021.
Detailed Reviews of Laptops for Data Analysis
1: Apple MacBook Pro
For any data analyst and fast and powerful system is a must and that is exactly what the MacBook Pro is which makes it the ultimate professional’s choice. Here’s more about its features below.
One of the reasons why I love the MacBook Pro so much is because unlike traditional Windows laptops it offers unmatched portability. This means I could be working from the beach, from my hotel room, or even on an airplane.
Yup, that is mainly because the Pro weighs a mere 2.9lbs and is also available with multiple screen sizes. You can either go for the more compact 13″ or the larger 15″ in case you spend more time working from desks or co-working spaces.
But irrespective of whether you buy a 13″ or a 15″, looking into your screen for an hour will never cease to amaze because of the special Retina Display MacBooks are equipped with.
For those who do not know, with the Retina Display, you get crisper text, better colors, and contrast which comes in handy not just for data analysis but also for video editing, graphics designing, etc. (the one laptop for pretty much anything and everything).
But eye-popping display alone won’t cut it, speed and space matter as well, right?
Powering up the Pro is the 6-Core Intel i7 Processor which in tandem with the 16GB RAM gives you smooth functioning whether you are using the heaviest of programs like Sisense, ITALASSI, etc., or browsing on multiple tabs.
Furthermore, to help you quickly shuffle across various menus and options is the Touch Bar which displays customized options based on the app you are using so you can increase productivity and get the job done on the double.
Keeping the boot time to a minimum and also loading apps in apps in an instant is the 512GB SSD. Not to forget, 512GB is ample space for all your software and data as well.
Further smoothening the user experience is the Radeon Pro 560X Graphics Card. So when you are not busy with data analysis you can bring out the gamer in you and play pretty much any title like FIFA 21, GTA V, etc. at the highest graphics.
Need to back up some of your important files or transfer something onto the laptop? How about speeds as high as 40GBPS for all that? Yup, with multiple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, the laptop delivers just that.
You also get really good speakers so if you do not have high-end earphones, feel free to use the speakers for music while working or for watching movies.
And you can continue working all through the night even in the dark with the backlit keyboard without the worry of charging the laptop as it has a really long 10-12-hour battery life.
- Screen Size: 15-inches (13-inch also available).
- Storage: 512GB SSD.
- RAM: 16GB RAM
- Processor: 8th Gen i7 processor
- Graphics card: Radeon Pro 560 4GB (Dedicated)
- Weight: 9lbs
The only real downside of this laptop is its high price as it will cost you over $2000.
But truth be told, who does not love owning an Apple, right? After all, it is not just a laptop with mindblowing features but also a proud feeling and is sure to grab a few eyes.
- It is one of the most portable yet powerful laptops you will find
- The retina display captures colors and details for an immersive viewing experience
- It has a long 10-12-hour battery life
- With the SSD, your laptop will boot quicker
- The 512GB is also ample space to store all important files and folders
- The i7 processor and 16GB RAM allow you to work on multiple programs and tabs with ease
- The Thunderbolt 3 USB Ports allow you to transfer data at speeds as high as 40GBPS
- The Radeon Pro 560X Graphics Card gives you lag-free gaming and adds to the speed and display quality
- Touch bar boosts productivity by displaying custom options based on your software
- It will cost you over $2000
In case you find the MacBook Pro out of your budget and need a cheaper and more portable Apple Laptop, the MacBook Air is an Amazon best-seller definitely worth considering.
#2: Acer Predator Helios 300
If you are looking for a more versatile laptop that is powerful enough to handle all your analysis tool and can also be used for gaming and other purposes, the Helios 300 is just the laptop of your dreams.
If you are wondering why the Helios can run any data analysis software with ease, it is because it is powered by an 8th Genntel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor with a clock speed of up to 4.1GHz.
Now, while that clock speed is pretty damn impressive, it alone isn’t going to make your laptop fast and powerful. This is why it is supported by 16GB RAM (so you can run multiple programs and have multiple browsers/tabs open without the laptop crashing).
And if that didn’t impress you, there is also 256GB NVMe SSD. Install your windows onto this drive and you can enjoy super-fast boot times and also get a decent amount of space for all your files and folders.
So what if you need additional space? Well, in case, there is also room for 2.5-inch SSD hard disk which you can turn to as and when buying an SSD fits your budget.
But for a laptop to be a real powerhouse, it needs a high-end graphics card as well and the Helios has just that in the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 which comes with 6GB dedicated VRAM (guess, nothing like a laptop that can handle both work and play).
As for the display, the 15.6-inch Full-HD display will make watching movies and playing games in your free a delight. But more importantly, it has a 144Hz refresh rate.
While it does not have much to do with Data Science, for gamers it is one of the most important features as it further reduces lag and helps you nail those headshots with ease.
With all that power I am sure you are worried about heat build-up. Well, don’t be because AeroBlade 3D Fan Cooling does an excellent job of keeping your laptop cool under the most strenuous of activities (work or play, there will be no stopping you with this bad boy around).
Furthermore, there is a backlit keyboard so you can continue to work in the wee hours without having to disturb your roommates or family members.
And in case you like music while work, the laptop’s speakers do not disappoint which is good news in case you forget your earphones or haven’t bought new ones.
The Metal Chassis gives the body great durability yet it remains lightweight as it weighs 5.51lbs. This means it is even lighter than the MacBook Pro making it the ideal travel partner for those that live life on the go.
- Screen Size: 15.6-inches
- Storage: 256GB NVME SSD.
- RAM: 16GB RAM
- Processor: 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core Processor
- Graphics card: GTX 1060 6GB
- Weight: 5.1lbs
One of the few drawbacks of this laptop is the battery life. On average it gives about 7 hours of runtime but if you happen to run multiple programs it is going to juice out in pretty much 4-5 hours which is a tad disappointing.
- Comes with a powerful i7-8750H 6-Core Processor that clocks at 4.1GHZ
- The 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD provides excellent speed
- In case you run out of space, you can add a 2.5-inch SSD later on
- Ideal for gaming and even video editing, graphics, etc. as it has a GTX 1060 6GB dedicated graphics card
- Also, it has a 144Hz refresh rate that lowers lag
- The backlit keyboard makes working at night really easy
- Its metallic chassis gives it great durability
- Even with the strong build, it weighs just 5.51lbs
- The speakers are quite good and AeroBlade 3D Fan Cooling works efficiently
- The 15.6-inch Full-HD display gives life-like pictures so work and entertainment go hand in hand
- Better battery life would have been ideal