Laptops have evolved rapidly over the course of the past decade, coming a long way from dual-core CPUs to 8thgeneration high-speed processors. However, manufacturers haven’t just mainly focused on updating the CPUs of their laptop models. They also greatly improved design usability, and one such improvement is the integration of a backlit keyboard.
Laptops with lighted keyboards (i.e. backlit keyboards) continue to be very popular. The reasons why a laptop with a backlit keyboard has rapidly gained popularity among users around the world are as follows:
- Works Well in Dark Environments: Imagine sitting in the dark playing your favorite video game on your laptop. You can’t see the keys very well, which ruins your game. Lighted keyboard laptops can help you avoid these problems, and it looks cool to use an ASUS laptop with keyboard light while playing in the dark;
- Accurate Typing: Even if you aren’t in the dark, but instead working in a well-lit environment, the laptop keyboard light feature can still improve typing accuracy. Different colors are integrated under various sets of keys, making it easier for users to identify the right ones. It also lets you customize the colors according to the sets of keys you use;
- Aesthetically Pleasing: This is the single biggest reason laptops with backlit keyboards are quite popular, both for young and older users alike. LED keyboard laptops are pleasant to look at, especially if their backlight colors match their case. Many gaming laptops come in red and black colors, and so its keys are also black with red light underneath the keyboard, which enriches the visual appeal of the laptop.
Now that you know the main reasons behind the popularity of laptops with lighted keyboards, let us look at some of the popular laptops with keyboard lights. In conclusion, the best laptop with a backlit keyboard on this list is the ASUS VivoBook. Read on to learn why.
- Laptops with LED Lit Up Keyboards Reviewed
- How to Find The Right Laptop with a Backlit Keyboard
- Why does a backlit keyboard have multiple colors?
- Can the brightness level of the backlit keyboards be adjusted?
- Do backlit keyboards significantly affect the overall look and feel of new laptop models?
- Do laptops with lit keyboards cost more?
- My laptop is changing colors and they are odd. What do I do?
Laptops with LED Lit Up Keyboards Reviewed
1: Apple MacBook Pro MNQG2LL/A
MacBook units continue to be very popular, most likely due to their newest models with sleek designs and ultra-fast processors. Recently, Apple has launched its Apple MacBook Pro MNQG2LL/A, which comes with a backlit keyboard.
With a unique design and a backlit keyboard coupled with high specifications, this laptop costs more than others with similar designs and backlit keyboard, but this continues to be a popular choice among many users.
The model is suited for professionals and casual users alike because of its high resolution (2500 by 1600 HD display), which makes this unit highly recommended for watching movies and songs.
Moreover, it is integrated with a bright LED keyboard laptop whose white-colored keyboard LEDs blend well with silver and space gray designs.
What I Like
Its backlight keyboard is no doubt among the top reasons to choose this laptop. However, this isn’t the only factor that makes this laptop a good choice for users.
The fast processor built into this model also makes this unit a favorite choice among students and professionals alike. It has an Intel Core i5 processor, which is available in both 7thand 8thgeneration releases.
Moreover, the HD display of this laptop is supplemented by its Intel Iris Graphics 550 which provides an optimum user experience for watching HD movies in the dark. To ensure this, 8GB RAM is bundled with this model, which is normally more than enough to play high-quality videos and run popular games.
What I Don’t Like
No doubt the backlit keyboard of this laptop is an enticing feature. However, a few other things integrated into this laptop are not quite at par with other latest models.
For example, its Intel CPU is a Core i5 7thgeneration model, which might soon become outdated because of the rising popularity of 8thgeneration releases for laptops, as well as the growing rumors about 9thgeneration units. The 8thgeneration version of this laptop is quite expensive for many users and doesn’t come with a keyboard backlight.
An Intel Iris Graphics 500 is this unit’s integrated video card, which isn’t as good as having dedicated GPUs for retail users from NVIDIA and AMD. And, many latest laptops are bundled with 16GB RAM, and some even come with 32GB RAM.
Pitted against those models, MacBook Pro falls short, in terms of overall performance, making this laptop unsuitable for compute-heavy tasks and extensive 3D graphics rendering capabilities.
- High-Quality Backlit Keyboard
- Aesthetic Design
- List Latest Generation CPU
2: ASUS ZenBook
- 13.3 inch anti-glare FHD 1920 x 1080 Display, wide view 170 degrees with Windows 10 Pre-installed. Display: IPS technology
- Latest 8th Gen Intel i5-8250U 1.6 GHz Processor (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.4GHz), Fast storage and memory featuring 256GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD with 8GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Extensive connectivity with Micro HDMI
- Sleek and light weight 2.6 pounds aluminum body for comfortable portability. Battery Up to 12 hours web browsing
- Built-in fingerprint reader with one-touch login via Windows Hello feature
The ASUS ZenBook is among the smartest models released by this leading manufacturer. This laptop has a remarkable backlit keyboard, which is equipped with technology that can automatically sense whether its LED lights should be activated or disabled, depending on ambient lighting.
Moreover, the brightness and colors of its LED lights can also be altered, but the white light nicely complements the silver body of this laptop.
ASUS ZenBook comes with a lot of features, which aren’t usually present in one laptop. Underneath its good-looking backlit keyboard churns a fast processor that’s supported by integrated HD display graphics technology, making this unit suitable for watching movies and playing popular games in any sort of environment. The 2018 model comes bundled with Windows 10 and has additional features like a fingerprint reader.
What I Like
ASUS laptop keyboard light is clearly superior to the MacBook Pro’s backlit keyboard. This unit from ASUS has brighter LEDs, which can be adjusted according to the needs of the user.
Moreover, it comes with sensing technology, which automatically enables the keyboard backlight whenever it detects certain levels of darkness.
Moreover, this laptop’s CPU is an Intel Core i5-8250U, the latest processor of this generation. It has turbo technology, which can boost the speed of the processor up to 3.4 GHz.
This unit weighs 2.6 lbs. due to its lightweight design and comes with Intel HD graphics, supplemented by a 1920 x 1080 anti-glare HD display. All of these are available for a reasonable price, relative to the prices of the other models in this list.
What I Don’t Like
The auto-sensor technology of its keyboard backlight, which got a lot of hype from ASUS during their campaign for the ASUS ZenBook, turned out to be nothing more than just a normal feature, many users claim.
They also said there were many instances without the need for the sensor to decide when to activate or disable the backlight. In fact, many users kept the backlight open even in well-lit conditions.
Moreover, the biggest letdown of this laptop is its integrated graphics. This is an Intel HD graphics card, which is suitable for light to moderate purposes, such as watching videos and playing popular games.
However, the full potential of its 8thgeneration Core i5 CPU can’t be realized unless used for compute-heavy and 3D graphics rendering tasks, which an Intel HD graphics card won’t be able to do.
Also, its processor is integrated with turbo technology, which can boost it up to 3.4GHz. However, its basic speed is just 1.6GHz. Coupled with this is the 8GB RAM, which is low by today’s standards when it comes to the latest laptop models in the market.
- Beautiful Backlight Keyboard with Auto-Sensor
- check8thGeneration Processor
- Reasonable Price
- HD Display
- Graphics Card Can’t Do 3D Rendering Tasks
- Slow Basic Processor Speed
- Lower RAM Resources Compared to Other Models
3: ASUS VivoBook
- Latest 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8GHz (Turbo up to 4.0GHz) Processor
- 17.3" Full HD Wide View display with 72% NTSC color gamut and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB discrete graphics for flawless visuals
- Slim 16.2" wide, 0.8" thin and portable footprint.Maximum RAM Supported: 32.00 GB; Battery: 42 Whrs 3 Cells Battery
- 16GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD storage combo; Ergonomic backlit keyboard with number pad
- Comprehensive connections with USB-C (Gen1), USB 3.0 Type-A, USB 2.0, HDMI, & headphone/mic ports for every device
Alongside its ZenBook, ASUS launched its VivoBook. This has far more advanced features than the ZenBook. VivoBook has remarkable features suitable for compute-heavy tasks and 3D gaming. An LED keyboard laptop, many users claim this model is among this year’s most advanced laptops.
Along with a backlit keyboard, ASUS VivoBook comes with the latest generation (8thgeneration) Core i7 CPU, making this model one of the fastest units in the market today and definitely a contender for the best-backlit keyboard laptop in this list.
Moreover, unlike other laptops mentioned before, this laptop has advanced dedicated graphics, which complements its HD screen. These features make it a popular choice for buyers.
What I Like
ASUS VivoBook has a Core i7-8550U CPU, an 8thgeneration processor with automatic boost technology that can speed up to 4.0GHz when required. This makes it the fastest laptop on this list.
Moreover, it has 16GB RAM, which can be upgraded to 32GB later on. This is the maximum limit of the latest laptops this year. These RAM resources, combined with an ultra-fast processor, make this laptop fit for buyers who want an optimal user experience without lag.
Moreover, this laptop comes with a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 1050 video card, easily placing this unit at the top of this list. GTX series graphics cards are super-fast.
So, ASUS VivoBook’s processor, graphics card, and RAM are suitable for users who regularly play 3D video games on an HD screen, which this laptop also provides.
Apart from its built-in features, this laptop has a high-quality ASUS laptop keyboard light. This has steadily gained popularity among a lot of users because its design seamlessly blends with the body of the laptop.
There are several steps of brightness for this laptop’s keyboard light, and its integrated colors can best suit the Star Gray color of this ASUS 2018 laptop model. Also, this unit is lightweight and has a sleek design, making the laptop suitable for people looking for some oomph in terms of overall look and feel.
What I Don’t Like
An issue for some users with this laptop is its more expensive price, compared to others on this list. This model is almost twice the price of the ASUS ZenBook.
Moreover, it weighs twice as much as this other model from ASUS (almost 5.1 lbs.). This is a nuisance for users who need to regularly carry their laptops around, which can also increase the likelihood of accidental falls and the like.
This laptop also comes with just 256GB of disk storage space, which can be very limiting as opposed to the data storage space available with the other units in this list.
- Latest & Fastest 8thGen Intel i7 CPU
- 16GB DDR4 RAM with Support for Up to 32GB
- Dedicated NVIDIA GTX 1050 Video Card
- checkSleek Design
- It is on the expensive side
- It is also heavy so carrying it isn’t all that easy
- Storage is slight lesser so you will need to backup data often
4: Acer Aspire E15
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4.1GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory, 128GB SSD & 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi |Backlit Keyboard | USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port | Fingerprint Reader
The Acer Aspire E15 has been a trending laptop model because of its flexibility to provide quality output in various environments. An earlier model from the same manufacturer, the Core i3 model, has been the top trending laptop on Amazon, and this latest model has raised the bar even higher when it comes to performance.
This laptop works well for business use, as well as for gaming and running other demanding software. The overall look and feel of this unit are effectively enhanced by its backlit keyboard.
Acer Aspire E 15 comes with a Full HD display, powered by a dedicated MX 150 Graphics card. It has an 8thgeneration “U”-category processor, among the fastest laptop CPUs in the market today.
This 2018 model has a shiny black color with a lighted keyboard, along with a pre-installed Windows 10 OS. All these things for a reasonable price, making this unit one unique and affordable laptop with a backlit keyboard.
What I Like
This unit comes with an Intel Core i7-8750H processor, which is usually found in the most advanced laptops in the market this year. This CPU has a base speed of 2.5GHz which can go all the way up to 4.1GHz through its turbo boost technology. This is generally more powerful than any of the other laptops with backlit keyboard models on this list.
Supplementing this CPU is 8GB DDR4 RAM resources, upgradeable to 32GB and 4GB DDR5 VRAM tops. Similar combinations of these RAM resources and the latest generation of Intel processors are rarely found in laptops at around the same reasonable price points.
Moreover, the dedicated video card that’s equipped with this laptop is an NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti. This is an advanced and faster version of the GTX 1050. Many users claim that the performance of this graphics card is similar to the NVIDIA GTX 1060.
Such a graphics card can run 3D video games or compute-heavy applications on moderate to high-quality settings. To enhance the user’s experience, this graphics card is complemented by the 15.6-inch Full HD IPS Display, making this laptop suitable for gaming as well as business purposes.
What I Don’t Like
The issue for many users, especially gaming fans, is its graphics card. Even if the NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, just like the GTX 1050, is a state-of-the-art graphics card, it probably won’t take too long before this video card becomes outdated, especially with new releases hinted at by both NVIDIA and AMD mid next year.
Keep in mind that laptop GPUs are constantly updated by the top manufacturers in the industry. This means the GTX 1050Ti might be unsuitable for users who plan to use it for 3D gaming and compute-heavy purposes for the next 3 to 5 years or so.
Although the overall appearance of this laptop with keyboard light can compete with many of the latest models out there today, some users claim that it can’t compare to Apple’s MacBook Air, which they claim is on a different level when it comes to visual design.
The Acer Aspire E15 has a matte black color. Also, this unit isn’t as slim as the others in this list, and weighs around 5.3 lbs, making this model unsuitable for those who like to carry their laptops around.
5. Acer Predator Helios 300
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 5.0 GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- Overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory, 512GB NVMe SSD (2 x M.2 slots; 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard | Wireless: Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AX 1650i 802. 11ax Wi-Fi 6; LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; DTS X: Ultra-Audio; 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
The Predator Helios 300 from Acer can not be mistaken for anything but a gaming laptop. Loaded with 6 GB of RTX 3060, an 11th gen Intel core i7 processor, and 16 GB DDR4 RAM, Acer Predator Helios 300 performance is top-notch for a mid-tier gaming laptop.
You can easily run high-end games such as Far Cry 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider with over 100 frames per second(FPS), even on a very high preset. What makes it even better is that it also comes with built-in overclocking, which produces staggering performance gains.
Just like the performance, the laptop’s design speaks quality too. The all-black chassis, rear cooling vents, angled lid corners, predator logo on the back, and a fantastic RGB keyboard are a perfect mix for a powerful gaming machine.
Yet, the design manages to stay mainstream, if not professional, giving a more mature vibe and appealing to a broader audience.
Even though the 15.6-inch screen is a bit thick, with competitors such as MSI Stealth and HP Omen being trimmer, the overall weight of the machine is satisfactory for its size at 5.07 pounds(Legion 5 weighs around 5.3 pounds).
The body is partially made of Aluminum, while most rivals offer more metal finish at this price range. Overall, the build quality is not at its best but still acceptable.
And for the best part, the keyboard is nothing short of amazing. It is divided into four ‘zones’ of lighting. The user can control each zone with the help of Acer’s PredatorSense app that allows accurate RGB control. You also get a dedicated button on the keyboard to launch the app which elevates the whole gaming experience.
It comes with a 144 Hz screen, which is more than enough to play AAA title games or carry out editing workloads. Anything less than that would have been unreasonable for a laptop in this price range.
Coupled with an excellent response time of 3ms, it gives the user an incredible gaming experience, especially in competitive multiplayer games. All in all, the Acer Predator Helios 300 is a power-packed machine with one of the best-backlit keyboards the laptop industry has ever seen.
- Good battery life for a gaming laptop
- A comfortable keyboard with fantastic lighting
- Great price for an RTX GPU
- Lighter than most rival gaming laptops
- More mature design
- Lacks a fully metallic body
- The cooling system is not too good for a gaming laptop
6. New Microsoft Surface Book 3
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. Now 30% faster than Surface Book 2 15”.
- Fastest graphics on Surface, powered by NVIDIA GTX GeForce GPU.
- Power when you need it. Up to 17.5 hours battery life — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- Robust laptop, powerful tablet, and portable studio in one.
- The connections you need, including USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot.
Microsoft’s new Surface Book 3 is packed with a powerful 6 GB NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti graphics card and a 10th gen Intel core i7 processor, along with 16/32 GB of DDR4 RAM.
The performance of this laptop is fantastic, considering it doesn’t even specialize in gaming, and it should be able to run most high-end games and bulky work software seamlessly.
The surface book 3 looks strikingly similar to the 2015 and 2018 variants. Though the design is sleek and looks fantastic, it is somewhat underwhelming. Even after a gap of two years, the laptop looks exactly like its predecessors.
However, despite appearances, Microsoft Surface Book 3 has a luxurious feel, with the platinum color giving it a look that can rival even the MacBook Pro. With a standby time of up to 17.5 hours, it’s safe to say that the battery life is very impressive and can get you through your day without having to be plugged in.
The Surface Book 3 is also a convertible laptop. This means that its screen can be detached from the keyboard, and it can work solely as a tablet. It aims to combine the full power of a laptop with the portability of a tablet. Although not perfect, it is one of the best convertible laptops available in the market.
The backlit keyboard of this laptop, along with the trackpad, is one the best you could find in all windows laptops. It has a comfortable feel, and typing on it feels smooth.
What we like most about this laptop is that instead of having an RGB light that might look childish, the Surface Book 3 has a white backlit keyboard that fits perfectly in any work environment.
As for its 15-inch screen, it supports a maximum resolution of 3240 x 2160 pixels and a refresh rate of 120 Hz, which is good, but considering the high price of the laptop, it is slightly underwhelming.
- Excellent design
- Two-in-one, laptop cum tablet
- Powerful performance
- Comfortable keyboard
- Good battery backup
- Slightly expensive
- Lack of good memory options
7. HP Spectre x360
- Factory sealed: This laptop is manufacturer (HP) sealed. You will see Hp’s tamper proof seal in tact when you receive this laptop. HARDCORE PERFORMANCE: Latest Hexacore 9th gen Intel i7- 9750H (2.6 GHz, up to 4.5 GHz, 12 MB cache, 6 cores) + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB) +16 GB DDR4 2666 (onboard),Windows 10 PRO Pre-Installed by HP. Also Included: Neopack 64GB High Performance, SUPER SLIM pen drive.
- IMMERSIVE DISPLAY AND SOUND: You’ll love the 15.6" diagonal 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS IPS micro-edge BrightView WLED-backlit touch screen with Corning Gorilla Glass, that brings your videos and photos to life. It also includes Bang & Olufsen Quad Speakers (With HP Quad Speakers),12 HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel, HP Audio Boost, Dark Ash Silver
- BLAZING SPEED WITH SSD AND HIGH PERFORMANCE MEMORY: 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (17x faster than a traditional 5400-rpm laptop hard drive),16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB) of system memory for intense multitasking and gaming, smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing, 1 x Multi-Format SD Media Card Reader, Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 Combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)
- HP TRUEVISION, ThunderBolt 3 and USB-C Support: HP TrueVision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone - WINDOWS HELLO COMPATIBLE WITH IR CAMERA, USB-C ports, Thunderbolt 3 support - This single interface supports both high-speed data and high-definition video. 2 x Thunderbolt 3 with USB Type-C, 1 x USB 3.1, 1 x HDMI v2.0 Port
- ALL-DAY BATTERY: Stay unplugged for up to 15 hours courtesy of the 6-cell 84 Wh Li-ion battery. Built to last you through the day, it gives you the freedom to confidently travel with your convertible HP touchscreen laptop and work on the go without constantly worrying about charge. Click ‘Add to Cart’ and enjoy our 100% satisfaction guarantee!
The performance of HP Spectre x360 is somewhat unsatisfactory. It comes with 4 GB of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics, which is significantly less potent than the previous laptops on this list, and a better card is expected when the price of the computer is as high as this.
The 16 GB of RAM is acceptable, but what makes it better is 1 TB of SSD and a Hexa Core Intel i7 processor. Altogether, the performance of Spectre X360 isn’t bad, but it’s also not something to brag about.
The HP Spectre X360, like the previous laptop on this list, is also a two-in-one laptop. The design is gorgeous. The golden edges and the beautiful HP logo of the same color on the back give it a professional yet appealing look.
The ‘gem cut’ design at the bottom of the screen only makes it better. The build quality feels premium, and the stylish look compliments it wonderfully. The battery life, too, at a standby time of 17 hours, is quite good. The battery can last for up to 10 hours of continuous work with proper use.
The HP Spectre x360 has a great keyboard. Typing feels satisfying due to the decent essential travel and clicky switches. The keys aren’t too small, and the keyboard isn’t shrunk to fit in the num pad. Again, the backlight is plain white but still decent.
Video conferencing hotkeys such as mic on/off are also present in the shortcut row for easier access. The touchpad is broad but short, which makes using the windows 10 gestures difficult.
Its AMOLED multitouch-enabled screen supports 4K UHD at a refresh rate of 120 Hz, which is good, but the refresh rate could have been a bit higher for the laptop’s price. A standard screen size of 15.6-inches is also adequate. The screen is not detachable and needs to be folded behind to be used as a Tablet.
- Amazing portability
- Impressive looks and design
- AMOLED Display
- Excellent battery life. 3:2 Screen ratio.
8. Dell XPS 15 7590
- 15.6 inch Fhd (1920 x 1080) Infinity Edge anti glare Non Touch IPS 100 percentage RGB 500 nits Display
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7 9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4.5 Gigahertz, 6 Cores)
- 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, 2x4G
- 512G PCIe SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
The Dell XPS 15 7590 comes with a 9th gen Intel core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and 4 GB of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics. It performs much better than HP’s Spectre x360 laptop on benchmark tests.
The RAM on this machine is lesser than the previous laptops, but so is the price. It comes with a 512 GB SSD for storage, which is adequate, but the lack of HDD may result in storage problems.
The laptop has a body of Aluminum and carbon fiber. It is a combination that is upscale and modern, giving it a beautiful look that can be proudly shown off. As with most professional laptops, the design is excellent and appealing.
Courtesy of Dell’s InfiniteEdge design, the bezels on this laptop are ultra-thin, making the screen look even more prominent and making movie-watching and gaming much more enjoyable.
It weighs around 4.5 pounds, which is surprising even though it uses carbon fiber in the build. Though it’s on par with its competitors, it’s still higher for a carbon-fiber laptop. Overall, the build is sturdy, and the design too is excellent.
This laptop has a carbon fiber keyboard deck, adding more to its stylish flair. It houses a full-size keyboard, a fingerprint sensor cum power button, and a large touchpad.
The key travel is relatively shallow at just 1.1 millimeters, but typing still feels very comfortable. The backlight, again, isn’t RGB but is good enough to be used at night. The keys are large and have decent spacing.
Dell XPS 15 comes with a 15.6-inch OLED display with a wide range of color coverage and optimal brightness. The resolution is limited to full HD(1920×1080 pixels), but the addition of OLED is an exciting prospect, even though it drains the battery a lot faster than a standard LCD.
- OLED screen
- HD webcam
- Powerful performance
- Ultra-thin bezels
- Excellent build quality
- Machine gets hot due to poor ventilation
- The OLED screen drains the battery
9. Acer Swift 3
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 4.1 GHz) with Radeon Graphics; 8GB LPDDR4 Memory; 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080 resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio)
- Intel wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX200 802.11ax; HD webcam (1280 x 720); Backlit keyboard; Fingerprint reader
- 1 - USB Type-C port USB 3. 2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C and USB Charging, 1- USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (featuring power-off charging), 1 - USB 2. 0 port and 1 - HDMI port
- Just 0.63" thin and 2.65 pounds and up to 11.5 hours of battery life
When it comes to general use, there’s little to complain about with the Acer Swift 3. It comes with an AMD Ryzen 7 4700U octa-core processor, which is on par with Intel’s 10th i7 processors, and an excellent bargain for the laptop’s price. It runs the built-in Radeon graphics, which are much better than Intel’s integrated iris Xe.
The 8 GB of RAM on this laptop is suitable for its price tag. In the storage department, it comes with 512 GB of SSD. Which, again, isn’t too much, but for its price, asking for anything more would be outrageous.
The most affordable laptop on our list, the Swift 3, is a beauty. The all-aluminum chassis consists of a silver keyboard deck, a silver lid, a silver bottom panel, and silver keys.
The parts of the laptop that aren’t silver are the black plastic bezels framing the display, and it adds to an aesthetic that looks equally at home in a coffee shop and a bedroom.
The metal chassis feels solid. The lid is rigid, providing good protection for the display, and the keyboard deck feels hard. There’s little to no flex to the chassis, and the display hinge is free of the dreaded screen wobble.
The keyboard is comfortable, with low travel, making the keys feel quick and responsive. The biggest drawback is the tiny cursor arrow keys.
The keyboard is backlit but with only one brightness level. At this price, it’s reasonable to expect two- or three-level backlighting that lets you adjust for ambient light.
Swift 3’s 14-inch FHD screen is encased in a minimalistic bezel with chrome accents. A full HD screen is more than acceptable at this price range, but the screen size is relatively small, at just 14 inches.
- Value for money
- Beautiful aluminum body
- Full HD screen
- A powerful AMD Processor
- Comfortable backlit keyboard
- Small screen size
- Lacks a dedicated graphics card
10. Razer Blade 14
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores.
- Ray-tracing: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 is powered by the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings cinematic-quality rendering to the most visually intense games.
- More frames: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15. 6" full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win.
- Thin and compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78" thin.
- Ready to connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience
The Razer Blade 15 laptop is a beast equipped with a 10th gen Intel core i7 Hexa core processor, 16 GB of RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070.
It should be able to run most heavy software flawlessly. As in most other laptops in this list, the only problem is the lack of adequate storage space, and its 512 GB SSD is relatively less, especially for mid to high-tier laptops.
Going by the looks, this laptop is similar to previous versions, but on closer inspection, it addresses some repeated criticism from prior models while retaining its signature excellent build quality.
With a complete aluminum build, the chassis feels perfect, and despite its thinness, manages to have a display with very little flex.
The Blade 15 has a more fingerprint-resistant design, and its webcam has been bumped up from 720p resolution to 1080p.
Its thickness is about 15.8 mm, trimming away a little more than one millimeter than the other Blade 15 Advanced options. It also has a good port selection, including Thunderbolt 4, HDMI 2.1, and an SD card reader.
As for the keyboard, the chiclet keys of the Razer Blade 15 are unique. Key travel is deep enough, and the spacing is just perfect, even for keys on the periphery of the keyboard.
Though it could have had bigger up and down arrow keys, it shouldn’t be a problem. The touchpad is similarly fantastic – spacious, sensitive, and feels good to click down.
The screen of Razer Blade 15 is probably the best thing about it apart from its stunning performance. Games look fantastic and are full of sharp detail and color on this QHD screen, though its refresh rate is a far higher ceiling that many games won’t reach with, which is an achievement unto itself.
- Remarkable performance
- 4k OLED screen
- Excellent cooling
- Touch support
- Aluminum body
- Too heavy
- Lack of adequate storage
How to Find The Right Laptop with a Backlit Keyboard
Buying the best laptop with a backlit keyboard is a slightly challenging task. This is because you need to consider several things in a laptop and not just its backlit keyboard before you can find the right one for your specific purposes. Found below are some of the most important things that you need to consider.
One of the toughest choices to make while buying a laptop is to decide on the best processor version, how many cores and threads it has, and its model family.
However, among all the factors, processor version, generation, and its family matter the most when it comes to buying a good laptop, especially for compute-heavy and resource-extensive tasks.
CPU speed matters a lot as is also among the most important factors to consider when choosing a CPU. A good processor generally has a base speed of at least 3.2 GHz or higher, especially by today’s standards. A speed of around 3.7 GHz is decent enough. If you want to look at these things in closer detail, then go here.
For 3D gaming and compute-heavy tasks, it’s likely to be a drawback if you choose a laptop with integrated graphics. For these specific use cases, you’re recommended to get a unit with a dedicated video card.
Many gamers claim that NVIDIA produces some of the best dedicated video cards for this purpose. Others say AMD also offers high-performing dedicated graphics cards for 3D gaming and the like. NVIDIA also manufactures more powerful video cards than its retail models, but these are designed for enterprise and academic use like scientific modeling, which means these can be quite expensive for a retail user.
As for compute-heavy tasks like crypto-mining, AI (artificial intelligence) modeling, and software development or testing, a lot of users also say that NVIDIA produces powerful dedicated video cards for these purposes. However, some users claim that AMD has the most power-efficient dedicated graphics cards for crypto-mining.
In these specific use cases, the VRAM (video RAM) of a dedicated video card is also an important specification to factor into your decision. 3D graphics rendering and compute-extensive processes require faster I/O (input/output) workflows than what you can get if you use an SSD or an HDD for this purpose.
This is why your laptop must have a graphics card with high VRAM if you intend to use it for any heavy tasks. A dedicated video card with 4GB VRAM and above is generally sufficient for light to moderate compute tasks, while one with 8 to 12GB is ideal for heavier tasks. For more in-depth knowledge about the subject matter, you can go here.
RAM stands for random access memory. Now, what’s random here is the fact that the operating system and applications of a laptop, along with its CPU and GPU, use your RAM resources when required. Because multiple software applications and firmware tools need to use your laptop’s RAM resources depending on what you’re currently doing, this means it’s like those technologies are randomly accessing your machine’s RAM.
And, since they only use your laptop’s RAM resources to temporarily store data that they’re required to have much faster access to from time to time, this data is regularly deleted by the same programs to free up RAM resources. If those technologies use your permanent storage devices like your SSD or HDD for this purpose, then it’ll speed up the wear and tear of those devices.
Generally, 2GB to 4GB is sufficient for light to moderate tasks. However, if you intend to use your laptop for compute-extensive and 3D gaming-related tasks, then you’re recommended to go with a model with 8GB RAM, especially units that can be expanded up to 32GB.
Backlit Keyboard Features
Backlit keyboard features can optimize the way you use your laptop. This can give you a quicker and easier time using your laptop keyboard, especially if you have trouble finding the right keys from time to time due to bad lighting conditions and the like. You’re also advised to look at laptops that have a good backlit keyboard if you have problems with your eyesight. These can help guide you towards the right keys, and can also reduce the strain from your eyes when you try to find these keys in the dark.
Some laptops have extra features for their built-in backlit keyboard. Some are equipped with auto-sensing technology. This is where a sensor detects the current lighting conditions of the environment. Based on its default settings, which you can customize in most laptops, it’ll automatically activate or disable some or all of the LED lights underneath your laptop keyboard.
Why does a backlit keyboard have multiple colors?
Multiple colors help most users to quickly and easily distinguish different keys. Plus, it adds to its overall look and feel.
Can the brightness level of the backlit keyboards be adjusted?
Yes. Most laptops do come with the option to control the brightness of the keyboard backlight. Some models with backlit keyboards allow users to deactivate all or some LED lights. You can also choose to have it activated during the entire time that you’re using your laptop.
Do backlit keyboards significantly affect the overall look and feel of new laptop models?
Yes and no. There are laptops with backlit keyboard models that are seamlessly packaged as a beautiful portable device, keyboard LED light color and all. Some units don’t considerably affect the overall appearance of the laptop even if some of its backlit lights don’t match the colors of its case and other components. However, there are of course instances where mismatched colors and designs can be an eyesore.
Do laptops with lit keyboards cost more?
Yes. A laptop without a backlight keyboard is generally cheaper. That’s because the manufacturer needed to put in ore components like LED lights for their models with backlit keyboards.
My laptop is changing colors and they are odd. What do I do?
The laptop’s control panel has the option to adjust the colors of the keyboard, which you can use to solve this problem.
ASUS VivoBook beats all other laptop keyboard backlit models in this list because of its superior built-in features and flexibility. If you prefer the overall look and feel more than hardware performance and speed, then Apple’s MacBook Air might be the ideal laptop with a backlit keyboard for you.
Remember, this list consists of backlit keyboard laptops that were released this year. Even though these aren’t all the laptops with backlit keyboards available, especially considering that most laptops today have backlit keyboards, these have been hand-picked as among the best this year.