If you have been in the stock trading game for years I am sure you remember the days when you had to be glued to your desktop so you do not miss out on the dream trade, right?
Well, not anymore. You now have the freedom to be anywhere you want and yet keep your eyes on the stock market. All you need is a laptop with a CPU, RAM, Display, and Portability.
Don’t worry, you do not have to skim through hundreds of laptops to find that, we did that for you. In this article, we covered the best laptops for stock trading in 2020 for every budget and need.
Best Laptop for Stock Trading Compared
New Apple MacBook Pro
Acer Spin 3
Acer Predator Helios 300
HP 2019 (14-CF0014DX)
New Apple MacBook Pro
Acer Spin 3
Acer Predator Helios 300
HP 2019 (14-CF0014DX)
Stock Trading Laptops Reviewed
#1: New Apple MacBook Pro
If you are looking for the best laptop for stock trading, look no further than the New Apple MacBook Pro. It is packed with features designed to make trading anywhere a breeze.
- Ninth-generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- AMD Radeon Pro 5300M Graphics with GDDR6 memory
- Ultrafast SSD
Has it ever happened that you could not complete a trade because your laptop or desktop hung? Well, with this MacBook, you can kiss goodbye to the trouble of hanging and slow processing as it comes equipped with a 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor.
And if that wasn’t enough, there is also an 8-core i9 variant available (and that is power hard to match).
Furthermore, navigating around and running multiple trading programs like MintBroker, SierraChart, etc. is easy thanks to the 16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD.
The SSD not only adds to the speed but also durability ensuring you get the best value for your money. That is because SSDs have lesser parts compared to an HDD and are less likely to breakdown. And since it is 512GB, there is ample room for you to run all your programs as well as OS on.
If there is one thing, MacBooks are known for is their portability (at least it is a major reason why I use them) and the new model does not disappoint either as it weighs a mere 4 pounds.
Furthermore, it has a height of 0.64 inches and a width of 14.09 inches which means you can easily carry it around in any laptop bag and use it even when cramped for space like on a flight, on the train, etc.
Display and TouchBar
Since the MacBook comes with a retina display that has an excellent resolution of 3072×1920, the display is crisp and clear. This is not only great news for trading but also brings movies to life (because once in a while, we all deserve a break).
Plus, staring at the screen looking at the stocks fall and rise won’t give you red, tired eyes as Retina Display is known to have a lesser strain on the eyes compared to other screen types. To top it all, this is the first MacBook with a 16-inch screen which makes viewing even more convenient and clear
The TouchBar shows you custom options depending on the program you are using that allows you to perform various activities with a simple touch. For example, if you are using the ProTrader trading software, it will give you options to complete or set up trades in seconds.
Your laptop is only good enough to be carried around if it has a good battery life and MacBook delivers just that. It gives a battery backup of about 12 hours making it easier to work from the beach, the cafe, etc. (no charging point around? No problem).
Backing up important data with the MacBook takes mere seconds to minutes thanks to the Thunderbolts which supports transfer speeds of up to 40 Gbps.
Well, Apple products are for premium users so if you have a budget of $2000+ only then this is worth the consideration. Also, though the laptop won’t give you any trouble for years, when it does, repairs are comparatively expensive as well.
Lastly, not all trading software runs on Apple so make sure the one you use is compatible with it before making a purchase.
- It delivers an excellent 12 hours of battery life
- It is light and compact which makes it easy to carry around and trade from anywhere you want
- Powerful i7 processor along with SSD and 16GB RAM allows you to run multiple programs and browse without the laptop hanging
- TouchBar shows custom options based on the software you use
- Data transfer can be done at superfast speeds (up to 40 Gbps) with Thunderbolt ports
- Retina Display gives you excellent colors, shadows, and brightness and puts less strain on the eye
- This laptop will cost you $2000+
- Repair cost with MacBooks are higher
- Not all trading platforms support Apple
#2: Acer Spin 3
Do not want to spend $2000 and yet get a powerful and portable laptop? Then the Acer Spin 3 is the answer to your prayers. Here’s what makes this laptop a fan-favorite.
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8565U Processor (Up to 4.6GHz)
- 14 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED backlit IPS Multi Touch Convertible Display
- 16GB DDR4 Memory & 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Rechargeable Active Stylus; Thin 0.38 inches Bezel; Dual Front Facing Speakers; 802.11acWi Fi featuring 2x2 MU MIMO Technology
- Just 0.78 inches Thin, 3.75 pounds and Up to 12 Hours of Battery Life
Being a convertible laptop, the Acer Spin 3 allows you to play around with it. I mean, you can use it is as a standard laptop or in the tent mode when on your desk keeping an eye on the stocks like a hawk or as a tablet while on the toilet seat or while lying down on the couch.
This is because of its 360-degree hinge that lets you make those changes within seconds and when you are in tablet mode, it can be used just like you use your mobile. Furthermore, this weighs just 3.7lbs so your hands won’t tire when you use it as a tablet.
The i7 8565U Processor that has a clock speed of up to 4.6GHz, combined with the 16GB DDR4 RAM gives you all the speed you need to run multiple trading platforms and trackers without a hitch.
Then there is also the 512GB SSD which further adds to the speed by ensuring your laptop boots within 10-15 seconds. Plus, considering the price range, the 512GB is a pleasant surprise over the 256GB SSD as it gives you ample storage.
And even with all the power, the laptop gives you 8-10 hours of non-stop battery life. So if you happen to forget your charger often, no problem.
Also, if you also happen to be a graphics designer, you will be happy to know that included in your purchase is a rechargeable stylus. This makes both navigation and designing on the go easy peasy.
As for the display, the laptop sports a 14-inch Full-HD display which in tandem with the excellent dual front speakers makes watching movies a delight.
The battery life is advertised to last 12 hours but rarely does though 8-10 hours of battery life is also excellent.
Also, the laptop comes with an integrated graphics card and thus does not support gaming or other graphic-intensive tasks but considering it costs less than $1000, it is well worth the money.
- It is a convertible laptop and thus can be used as a tablet or in tent mode as well
- Weighs just 3.7lbs and thus easy to carry around in your hand
- Comes with a 512GB SSD that helps the laptop boot in 10-15 seconds
- It has good speakers
- You get a rechargeable stylus free
- The processor has a max clock speed of 4.6GHz
- WLED backlit display gives you a decent display
- Integrated graphics card and thus not great for gaming
- Battery life not as advertised but still good
- Display not Full-HD
You can also set up multiple displays with the Acer Spin 3 or other laptops for better viewing and tracking of changes when you are at home. Just make sure you get a top-notch docking station and you are good to go.
#3: HP 14-CF0014DX (Best Laptop for Trading on a Budget)
Are you looking for something on the cheap? What if I told you, your new laptop for trading will cost you less than $400? Yup, for any beginner trader this is hands down the best choice. Here’s all about it.
- Windows 10 operating system Windows 10 brings back the start menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the edge web browser that lets you markup web pages on your screen
- 14" Display bright View glossy screen maintains the vivid colors in your photos and videos. Typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution. Wled backlight
- 7th Gen Intel Core i3-7100U mobile Processor smart dual-core, four-way processing performance for HD-quality computing
- 8GB system Memory for advanced multitasking substantial high-bandwidth RAM
- 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD) while offering less storage space than a hard drive, a flash-based SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times
Here’s the problem with most of the cheaper laptop, they are slow and tend to hang. That is because they usually have a low RAM, processor, and come with an HDD but that’s not the case with the HP 14-CF0014DX.
This baby comes with a 128GB SSD. This means your laptop will take no more than 15 seconds to boot while the i3 processor and 8GB RAM ensure seamless browsing even with multiple tabs and trading programs running in the background.
Another benefit here is that Windows 10 comes pre-installed. Some cheap laptops have DOS and thus you need to purchase the OS separately which adds to the overall cost.
Also, while it may not look like it, the laptop actually weighs just 4.5lbs so carrying it on your shoulders around in a backpack should not give you aching joints and muscles (it is definitely not the workout you want, right?).
Lastly, though the display isn’t Full-HD, it still gives you good colors and brightness as it has a WLED backlight. WLED stands for White Light-Emitting Diodes and performs better than LCD monitors and screens as it is also easy on the eyes.
For starters, the laptop does not feature a full-HD display so watching movies isn’t going to be as good as with the MacBook Pro or the Acer Spin 3.
The 128GB storage is less, especially if you have a lot of data to store on the laptop and thus will need to be upgraded in time.
Lastly, the battery life of the laptop is just 5-6 hours which means you will always need to keep your charger around. But considering you pay less than $400 for it, it is still a steal.
- It will cost you less than $400.
- Comes with all the basic specs needed to run stock trading platforms
- Unlike most cheap laptops, this one features an SSD which adds to the speed and durability
- The Windows 10 OS is pre-installed
- There is also an SD card for when you run out of space
- It is lightweight and weighs just about 4.5lbs
- Not a very powerful laptop
- Low battery life as it lasts just 5-6 hours
- Storage will need to be upgraded as it only comes with a 128GB SSD
#4: Acer Predator Helios 300 (Best Laptop for Trading/Mining Cryptocurrency)
Next on the list of trading laptops is one that will delight any crypto trader as it is a beast. I mean if a laptop is good enough for gaming then it can definitely handle any kind of trading, right?
Here’s all you need to know about one of the most popular gaming laptop ever.
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6-Core Processor (Upto 4. 5 gramHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15. 6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M. 2 Slots | 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- Backlit Keyboard | LAN: Killer Gaming Network E2500 | Wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AX 1650 WiFi 6 802. 11ac | 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
The Helios 300 is one of the most powerful laptops on the list with its 9th Gen i7-9750H 6-Core Processor, a whopping 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD. To top it all, it features a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB dedicated VRAM.
And in case you are wondering how a dedicated RAM and powerful processor, RAM, etc. will help other than gaming, well, cryptocurrency traders can also use this laptop for mining bitcoins and other similar cryptocurrencies (and now, you can earn bitcoins while sipping coffee).
Furthermore, the laptop also has a large and crystal clear 15.6″ Full-HD IPS display but that’s not the groundbreaking feature. What’s different with the Helios 300 is the fact that its display supports a 144Hz, 3ms Response Time.
This means lags, blurring, or ghosting of the screen when playing games like Fortnite, PUBG, or Call of Duty multiplayer on a full-graphics setting will be a thing of the past (getting those headshots will become a whole lot easier).
Furthermore, it has a backlit keyboard so your trading and gaming shenanigans can continue even in the dark.
Keeping the laptop cool throughout the day and night is the 4th Gen AeroBlade 3D Fan Technology. This means the laptop comes with multiple fans and vents strategically placed to ensure the laptop never turns into a frying pan (even when mining).
And giving you full control over the fan speed, keyboard lighting, overclocking, game profiles, and so on is the control center known as the PredatorSense.
The PredatorSense has another important control, the Killer DoubleShot Pro feature. The biggest benefit of this is that you can set the more important apps to get higher bandwidth, in this case, the trading and mining apps.
Lastly, even the speakers of the laptop provide an immersive audio experience. So even if you do not have headphones or a portable speaker, nothing should stop you from playing your favorite music.
There is little to fault about the laptop except for the fact that it will cost you over $1000 and it has a battery life of 4-5 hours. But pretty much all high-powered gaming laptops have similar battery life.
Also, considering that you can start your own mining or cryptocurrency node on it without a hitch means the $1000+ investment is well worth it.
- The laptop is powerful enough to mine cryptocurrencies
- Also supports high-end gaming with its 9th Gen i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and dedicated VRAM
- It has a backlit keyboard
- Multiple fans and vents keep the laptop cool at all times (even if left on the whole day)
- PredatorSense gives you full control over gaming profiles, keyboard lighting
- 144Hz, 3ms Response Time of the display ensures there is no blurring or ghosting
- Killer DoubleShot Pro allows you to increase bandwidth for important programs
- Comes with high-quality speakers
- Low battery life as the battery lasts for just 4-5 hours
- It will cost you over $1000
Best Laptop for Stock Trading FAQ
Q1: How much RAM do I need for Trading
If you are new to the world of trading I would suggest going with a laptop that has an 8GB RAM but if you are a pro then a 16GB RAM is a must to handle the rigors of running multiple programs, tabs, etc. You do not want your laptop to be stuck when you could make a life-changing trade, right?
Q2: Is a MacBook good enough for trading?
If you are a professional then yes, a MacBook Pro is worth the money. That is because these are sleek, classy, and powerful. That means you can keep eye on the changing market even as you sip coffee at your favorite barista or while at the airport. Plus, you can run all the programs and tabs you need without hassles.
Q3: Are gaming laptop good enough for trading?
Gaming laptops like the Predator Helios 300 mentioned on our list are some of the most powerful laptops you will ever come across and thus perfect for trading, gaming, and tons of other tasks. Though keep in mind that these laptops will cost you over $1000 or $2000 so you have to be both a serious gamer and trader if you are going to invest that kind of money.
Q4: What are some of the programs that traders use?
Some of the most common software used by traders are:
- TD Ameritrade
- Interactive Brokers (Ideal for high-volume trading)
- E-Trade (For intermediate to advanced traders)
- Charles Schwab (For professional traders)
- eOption (Another one for professional traders)
- Tradespoon (For all levels)
Q5: How do I set up dual monitors for trading
If you want a brief idea about how trading set up with multiple monitors should look and what you might need, this video below will answer all the important questions.
That’s our list of the top trading laptops for 2021. Whether you are trading in cryptocurrencies or on Forex, these laptops will do the trick for you.
In case you have been using a different laptop and have had great results, do let the readers know about it in the comments below. You can also send in your questions and we will get back to you ASAP.
Till then, happy trading.