As an Amazon Associate we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for the best fanless laptop in 2020? Then you are in the right place. Fanless laptops are becoming more and more popular as they are quiet, compact, have better battery life and also improves dust insulation.
Yup, if you like to work while on the go or have a remote job that you do from your favorite Costa Coffee or Starbucks then a fanless laptop is just what you need.
But how do you find a fanless laptop? How do you even know if the laptop is fanless? Well, to make that decision easy, we did all the hard work for you. Below are the top fanless laptops that are worth the money in 2020.
Best Fanless Laptop – A Comparison Chart
Apple MacBook Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro 6
HP 2-in-1 Chromebook
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14
Apple MacBook Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro 6
HP 2-in-1 Chromebook
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14
#1: Apple MacBook Pro
If you are looking for a high-end laptop that isn’t just stylish looking but also packed with features that makes day to day work quick and easy, then look no further than the Apple MacBook pro.
- 8Th-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- Ultrafast SSD
Apart from being silent and cool as a cucumber, a few other things this fanless laptop is known for is its portability and battery life.
Yup, the 13-inch MacBook Pro weighs just 3.02lbs and with dimensions of 0.59” (h), 11.97” (W), 8.36” (D), the laptop can easily fit into any backpack and used in flights or while laying on the sofa or sitting in the toilet (ok yeah, guilty).
Furthermore, it has an excellent 10-12 hour battery life which means worrying about power points will be a thing of the past further making it convenient to work from anywhere.
But how does the laptop perform? Will it hang? Can you enjoy a movie and games on it as well?
The laptop is equipped with an 8th Gen i5 that clocks at 2.4GHz meaning it is pretty fast. Further adding to the speed is the 8GB RAM and the 256GB SSD.
These in tandem allow you to multitask as you can run multiple programs, browser tabs, etc. without the laptop hanging or slowing down.
SSDs are also more durable than HDDs since they have lesser parts so you do not have to worry about making repairs anytime soon.
Also, adding to the convenience of using the laptop is the Touch Bar that gives you custom functions based on the program you are using so sending emails, etc. is as easy as a simple touch.
The laptop also features 4 thunderbolt ports. So when you need your data transferred from your laptop to your storage device, you can get speeds of up to 40 Gbps. What does that mean for you? This video below explains more about Thunderbolt Ports.
Lastly, comes the display. This MacBook has a standard 13-inch display but since it is Retina Display, you can expect great colors and picture clarity. Plus, your eyes won’t get tired even after hours of looking at the screen.
One of the biggest drawbacks of MacBooks is that they are on the expensive side. But if you need something advanced and portable, they are worth every penny. They are perfect for all professional work such as programming and can even handle some light gaming.
Also, repairs with these laptops are expensive you won’t face any problems with it for years to come.
Lastly, a 4k display would have been ideal but being a retina display, it does offer excellent visuals so watching movies should be fun and immersive.
- Weighs just 3.02lbs and is compact enough for easy carrying and usage
- Powerful enough for programming, running multiple tabs and light gaming
- Thunderbolt ports allow you lightening fast data transfers
- SSD adds to the speed and increases durability as it has lesser parts
- Retina display is crystal clear and reduces strain on eyes
- Comes with a long 10-12 hour battery life
- The laptop is on the expensive side
- A 4K display would have been ideal
2. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
If you are looking for something even more portable and sleeker than the MacBook, the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 is just what you need and here’s why.
- A best in class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet
- More power now with the new 8th Generation Intel Core processor
- Ultra slim and light, starting at just 1.7 pounds. Sensors : Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- All day battery life, with upto 13.5 hours of video playback
- Pair with our signature type cover in luxurious Alcantara material and rich colors for a full keyboard experience
If we had to rate the Microsoft Surface Pro on versatility, it would get a big 10. After all, it is one of the lightest laptops on the list with a weight of mere 1.73lbs (it is almost like carrying a tablet or smartphone).
But that’s not all.
It is also convertible. This allows you to turn it into a tablet or use it in studio mode other than a traditional laptop. For watching movies while relaxing at the lounge, the studio is perfect whereas when your FarmTown needs attention or you want to crush it at CandyCrush, the tablet mode will best suit you.
Apart from being versatile, the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 also packs a punch in the performance department and here’s why.
And to run any software you have been using to make edits or to easily handle the numerous tabs you work with, the laptop is equipped with an i5 processor and 8GB RAM.
If you want something even more powerful, you can go with the i7 variant but then again you will have to pay the big bucks.
Another awesome feature of the Surface Pro is its PixelSense Display. The 12.3-inch Full-HD display will give you colors and contrast that are sure to leave you in awe of it (movie night just a got a lot better).
You also get a 256GB SSD. And as you probably already know an SSD is way faster than a hard drive so your laptop boots in a flash and the apps load much faster.
The battery life of the laptop is another mention worthy feature as it can run for a whopping 10-11 hours on a single charge.
And lastly, with the USB 3.0 port, you can easily have your data backed up within a matter of minutes.
Firstly, the graphics card is a bit of a letdown. While the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 can handle a few games like Fortnite or PUBG and other on lower graphics setting, playing the latest games can be an issue.
Also, you do not need any of the accessories like the 360 Surface Dial or the mouse but in case you intend on getting them, they are charged separately and thus increase the overall cost.
Lastly, the 256GB of space won’t be enough for people with lots of videos and images to store so make sure you take regular backups to maintain the high speed an SSD promises.
- It can be used as a laptop, tablet or even in tent mode offering you excellent versatility
- It is both lightweight and compact and thus easy to carry
- 3-inch PixelDisplay delivers great colors and contrast
- The i5 processor and 8GB RAM can handle various software and multiple tabs
- Comes with a USB 3.0 port for high transfer speeds
- The 256GB SSD is really quick
- The battery lasts for about 6-8 hours which is a good runtime
- Low-powered graphics card
- Buying the accessories can increase the purchase cost
- Disk space is low
#3: Lenovo Thinkpad E590 (Best Fanless Laptop for Budget Buyers)
Probably, you do not have $1000 or $2000 to spend on a laptop but thanks to the Lenovo ThinkPad E590, you can still get an excellent laptop capable enough to run most games and programs.
Here’s more about it.
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM; Storage: 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY, Professional Installation Service included)
- 15.6-Inch Anti-Glare (1366x768) Display with Front Facing HD Webcam | Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 - Supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C; Supports dual independent display; Max resolution: 1920x1080 (HDMI)@60Hz
- Whiskey Lake-U CPU: Intel Quad Core i5-8265U 1.6 GHz (Turbo 3.90 GHz, 4 Cores 8 Threads, 6MB SmartCache)
- Intel 9260 11ac, 2x2 + BT5.0 Combo | HD Webcam
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Ideal for Home, Professionals, Small business, School Education
Most gaming titles like Fortnite and PUBG require only an i5 Processor and that is exactly what the ThinkPad E590 is equipped with. And while you might be disappointed at the clock speed of i5-8265U processor i.e. 1.6GHz, it can turbo boost to a whopping 3.9GHz when called upon.
There is also a 16GB RAM. This in tandem with the processor makes the laptop capable of handling not just a few games but also light video editing, graphics designing or programming making it the ideal laptop for students who love to play the occasional game.
For a laptop that costs about $700, I also love the fact that it has a large SSD. Yup, the 512GB SSD has ample space so you can install both your OS and important program. This means your laptop boots faster and you can switch between tabs and windows faster.
More importantly, SSDs also help you get value for money as they are more durable.
The 15″ screen is large and suitable for all those movies and TV series you are about to stream as it supports HD resolution. And feel free to binge-watch on those series and movies as the anti-glare coating will keep the eyes protected.
As for durability, the bad boy has passed the United States Military Standards thus becoming one of the very few laptops to have a MIL-STDD-810G military certification (need I even say more about the durability?).
The batteries also run for about 11 hours without fail. This gives you the freedom to move around with your laptop so you can work from a coffee shop, couch or even the bed on the days you are feeling particularly lazy.
And when it does run out of battery, the rapid charge allows it to go from 0% to 80% (which should be good enough for 8-10 hours) in just 60-minutes.
This also made possible by the 180-degree hinge that helps you get the right angle with ease and its lightweight build (it weighs just about 4.7lbs).
For a cheaper laptop, I was also quite impressed with the Dolby speakers. Plus there is the HD webcam and the noise-canceling microphone that makes video calling your loved ones hassle-free (no wonder it is Skype-Certified).
One of the major drawbacks of this laptop is that it is limited in its use. For starters, it has an i5 processor but more importantly, it is due to the integrated graphics card.
This means you cannot be playing games on the highest graphics setting or use the laptop for video editing, graphics designing, 3D animation, etc.
Secondly, the display is not a Full-HD display which does hamper the viewing experience to some extent as you do not the best colors and contrast,
Lastly, it does not have a backlit keyboard. So if the lights were to turn off, there is no way you could continue using the laptop.
- It has an i5 processor and 16GB RAM that makes it ideal for students into video editing, animation, etc.
- With a 512GB SSD, you can enjoy faster booting time, plus, the programs load faster
- The MIL-STDD-810G military certification means it can handle daily rigors with ease
- Anti-glare coating on the 15″ screen protects the eyes from tiredness
- It has a battery life of about 11 hours
- Charged from 0 to 80% in a mere 60-minutes
- The 180-degree hinge allows you to find a comfortable viewing angle with ease
- The sound quality of the Dolby Atmos speakers is pretty good
- It is Skype-Certified thanks to its HD webcam and noise-canceling microphone
- Does not support a Full-HD display
- There is no backlit keyboard
- Not suitable for graphics-intensive tasks like gaming, video editing, etc.
Everybody loves a good solid laptop on the cheap. So if you are a student not wanting to spend the big bucks yet, then trust me, you won’t regret this buy.
#4:HP X2 12-F014D
This HP laptop is a spectacle in itself. Not only does it pack enough power and speed to run pretty much any program but also combines with its portability you will instantly love.
- Google Chrome OS; 7th Gen Intel® Core M-7Y30 processor; 12.3" display; 4GB memory; 32GB eMMC Flash Memory; Bluetooth; touch screen; DVD/CD drive not included
Talking about portability, this is a convertible laptop. That means you can use it not only as a traditional laptop but also in studio mode for entertainment or as a tablet on a lazy Sunday afternoon from the couch or bed or when you cramped for room.
But portability alone does not cut it.
This is why the laptop is also equipped with an 8th Gen Intel i7-8705G processor which in combination with 16GB RAM can support even the high-end programs needed for programming, video editing, etc.
Amping up the speed is the 1TB PCIe SSD which ensures your laptops boots at lightning-fast speeds. Oh, and since it is 1GB, there is no need for an HDD. There is enough space to install both your OS, programs and save all the required data.
It can even handle most of your gaming titles and give you faster rendering thanks to the Radeon RX Vega M 8GB dedicated graphics card.
Not only is the screen touchscreen eliminating the need for a keyboard and mouse all the time it is also a 4k IPS display. This means you get vibrant colors, in-depth gradients and shadows making your movies and games surreal.
And since it has a Gorilla Corning glass, it can handle the bumps of your daily business travels.
With the 2 Thunderbolt ports, the laptop allows you to transfer data at astonishing speeds of about 40GBPS (so you can backup your data and copy files within seconds).
You do not want to be carrying your charger around all the time and you won’t have to either as the laptop has an 8-10 hour battery life enough to last you for one entire workday.
Apart from the fact that it has a steep price range, the Radeon RX Vega graphics card is a slight let down.
Yes, it supports games like Fortnite and PUBG but tends to overheat when used for long hours. So if you do intend on using it for a long time I would recommend using a laptop cooler with it.
Plus, it also has compatibility issues with some games.
But while it may not be a gamer’s delight it is the perfect laptop for the workaholic in you.
- It is super fast as it has an 8th Gen i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, and 1TB SSD
- The SSD also gives you ample space for all files and programs
- It can be used as a tablet and in tent mode
- The 15.6″ display is a 4k IPS display so expect quality viewing experience
- Corning Gorilla glass ensures it does not crack easily
- Since it is touchscreen using it is a breeze anywhere, anytime
- 2 Thunderbolt ports give you transfer speeds of about 40GBPS
- It has a long 8-10 hours battery life
- Graphics card heats up when used for long hours
- It is not compatible with all games
- It will cost you over $1500
- Powerful & efficient Intel Celeron N4000 1.1GHz (Turbo upto 2.6GHz); 64 eMMC storage, 4GB LPDDR4
- Featuring Windows 10 in S mode operating system with 1 year of office 365 included; Webcam: VGA Camera
- 14" Glossy screen with a Nano Edge FHD display with wide view technology and a touchscreen with upto 178° viewing angle optimized for entertainment
- 13” wide, 0. 6” thin with 0. 3” bezel for a stunning 73% screen-to-body ratio; aluminum chassis and lightweight at 3.3 pounds.
- Portable and convertible 2 in 1 laptop with four viewing modes: Tablet, tent, stand, and laptop.
Alongside its ZenBook, ASUS launched its VivoBook. This has far more advanced features than the ZenBook. VivoBook has remarkable features suitable for compute-heavy tasks and 3D gaming. An LED keyboard laptop, many users claim this model is among this year’s most advanced laptops.
Along with a backlit keyboard, ASUS VivoBook comes with the latest generation (8thgeneration) Core i7 CPU, making this model one of the fastest units in the market today and definitely a contender for the best-backlit keyboard laptop in this list.
Moreover, unlike other laptops mentioned before, this laptop has advanced dedicated graphics, which complements its HD screen. These features make it a popular choice for laptop buyers of 2018.
ASUS VivoBook has a Core i7-8550U CPU, an 8thgeneration processor with automatic boost technology that can speed up to 4.0GHz when required.
This makes it the fastest laptop on this list. Moreover, it has 16GB RAM, which can be upgraded to 32GB later on. This is the maximum limit of the latest laptops this year.
These RAM resources, combined with an ultra-fast processor, make this laptop fit for buyers who want optimal user experience without lag.
Moreover, this laptop comes with a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 1050 video card, easily placing this unit at the top of this list. GTX series graphics cards are super-fast.
So, ASUS VivoBook’s processor, graphics card and RAM are suitable for users who regularly play 3D video games on an HD screen, which this laptop also provides.
Apart from its built-in features, this laptop has a high-quality ASUS laptop keyboard light. This has steadily gained popularity among a lot of users because its design seamlessly blends with the body of the laptop.
There are several steps of brightness for this laptop’s keyboard light, and its integrated colors can best suit the Star Gray color of this ASUS 2018 laptop model.
Also, this unit is lightweight and has a sleek design, making the laptop suitable for people looking for some oomph in terms of overall look and feel.
An issue for some users with this laptop is its more expensive price, compared to others on this list. This model is almost twice the price of the ASUS ZenBook. Moreover, it weighs twice as much as this other model from ASUS (almost 5.1 lbs.). This is a nuisance for users who need to regularly carry their laptops around, which can also increase the likelihood of accidental falls and the like.
This laptop also comes with just 256GB disk storage space, which can be very limiting as opposed to the data storage space available with the other units in this list.
- It is on the expensive side
- It is also heavy so carrying it isn’t all that easy
- Storage is slight lesser so you will need to backup data often
Last Updated on